Well, it’s been a hell of a long month, but there is literally nowhere to go but up from here. After 13 new releases in theaters (three of which were expansions from 2012), I am now completely caught up on my goal of seeing every movie in 2013 released at over 1,000 theaters.
As is now the usual for Januaries, it was a rough month for the movies. Here’s a list of the every movie I saw in theaters along with my scores for them and links to my full reviews. Expansions/Holdovers from 2012 are marked with a *.
Zero Dark Thirty*: 9.0/10 – Incredible
The Impossible*: 8.5/10 – Impressive
The Last Stand: 7.5/10 – Superior
Gangster Squad: 7.0/10 – Good
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters: 7.0/10 – Good
Mama: 6.0/10 – Passable
Promised Land: 5.5/10 – Nothing Special
Anna Karenina*: 5.0/10 – Mediocre
Parker: 5.0/10 – Mediocre
Broken City: 3.0/10 – Just Plain Bad
Texas Chainsaw 3D: 2.5/10 – Horrible
Movie 43: 2.5/10 – Horrible
A Haunted House: 2.0/10 – Symphony of Suck
Just to give you a sense of how painful this month was for me, here are some little statistics about January’s new releases (excluding 2012 expansions).
– The Average Rotten Tomatoes score for a January release was a 31%
– Only one out of the ten was “Fresh” (Mama at 63%)
– The Average MetaCritic Score was 39/100
– Per MetaCritic, Four Films were rated “Poor” Overall and six were rated “Mixed”
– My Average score for January was a 4.8/10
– My “Most Underrated” Pick would be Hansel & Gretel, Witch Hunters.
– I have no picks for most Overrated, seeing as nearly everything I disliked was also reviled by critics.
Well, it’s been a long month but with A Good Day to Die Hard coming up on Valentines Day, I think I’ll have enough to get me through to March when the ball finally starts to get rolling at the box office. Until then, wish me luck!