Well, it’s been a hell of a long year so far but the worst is now behind us. The calendar might not consider summer to be upon us until the upcoming solstice, but everyone knows that the first weekend of May is when the season truly begins. So far, we’ve had some pretty damn amazing blockbusters, marred by only a few sizable disappointments. Let’s take a look at how this month’s releases stack up against the rest of the year.
As a quick note, I am still moving forward with my pledge to see and review every wide theatrical release in 2013, for the first time this year I’m going to have to wait until the DVD to check the final box for the month. To be fair, that box belongs to Tyler Perry’s The Peeples, and because of the pounding it took at the box office it was gone from most theaters around me within a week and all of them within two. I will be reviewing it once it comes out on DVD later this summer.
9.0/10 – Incredible
8.5/10 – Impressive
7.5/10 – Superior
7.0/10 – Good
6.5/10 – Perfectly Adequate
3.0/10 – Just Plain Bad
Here are some tidbits about May’s releases:
– The avg. Rotten Tomatoes Score from May was 51% (up from 48% in April)
– Four out of the nine were “Fresh” (Up from three in April)
– The avg. Metacritic Score from May was 51/100 (up from 47/100 in April)
– Per Metacritic, 3 films were ranked positive, two were negative and the rest were mixed
– My average score was 6.9/10 (down from 5.1/10 in April)
– My picks for most underrated would go to The Hangover: Part III
– My pick for most overrated go to nothing in particular